Saturday, October 06, 2007

Wrapping My Brain Around It...

This week has been constant motion. Nothing spectacular, just daily living. Helped a good friend paint her new home. "Nursed" my sick child for a day. Helped another good friend run her kid to his Dr. for an appointment. Constant motion. During all this, on Friday I stopped by Sarah's school to drop off popcorn. Her class is exploring the Five Senses. Mrs. Davis was going to pop corn to reinforce the concept, she had our air popper but I forgot the popcorn. When I arrived, the kids were in P.E. so I was able to chat with Sarah's teacher without interruptions. She's so proud of Sarah and her improvements and developments. Sarah's down to one outburst a week and each outburst grows shorter. (They've grown longer at HOME!) Education wise, she's absorbing everything like a sponge. I know Mrs. D isn't a Dr. or diagnostic but she has worked with austistic children in the past, so I asked what she thought about Sarah. I wasn't really prepared for her answer, but she said, "I'm not so certain I'd call her autistic, but I'm more inclined to think she's a highly Gifted and Talented child with MANY quirks." She then went into more detail as to why and gave some examples...
Another angle on Sarah. My head continues to spin in circles. Sarah is stinking smart, that I know. Gifted & Talented? There are days she's like that Far Side cartoon, it shows a child pushing on the "pull" door and the sign above reads, "School for the Gifted & Talented".
Gee it's time for me to google "gifted & talented" and become a self taught expert in the feild. (Yeah, I'm taking a dig) But at the moment, Sarah's melting down and it's time to go.

2 comments:

Becky B. said...

We all think Sarah is very smart and has talents, you just have to find them.. I'm glad her teacher is looking. Someday the puzzle will all fall in to place. Keeping learning...By the way, she was great Saturday.

Shaunery said...

All the kids were great Saturday, but then everything is great with Crown......LOL!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...